Saturday, January 24, 2009

Babyback Ribs - Two Ways

In Search of Perfect Ribs.....

I decided Saturday night would be rib night. I received Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA cookbook for Christmas and it was time to try some recipes. I went with 2 different recipes. A dry rub style and a jalapeno jerk style with a homemade pineapple-ginger bbq sauce. I did each recipe with one rack of baby back ribs- back membrane removed. Here are my results...


The jerk ribs were marinated in a mix of pineapple juice, jalapenos and cilantro for 4 hours. To the right is a picture of the bbq sauce started with pineapple juice, fresh ginger, and cilantro.




Rubbed and ready...



Starting the coals... I use a mix of natural lump hardwood charcoal and traditional briquettes to get the best of both worlds. The lump burns quicker and hotter, while the briquettes will last a little longer.







The perfect smoking temperature. 225-250F. 3-4 hours at this temperature delivers perfect results.


I cooked these using indirect heat on a rib rack over a water filled drip pan. Twice during cooking I added some wet mesquite wood chips to the coals.



The perfect rib? Juicy, pulls away from the bone, and there is a noticeable pink smoke ring.
We came away very impressed with both recipes. The dry rubbed ribs were great and Trisha said that the jalapeno jerk ribs were the most flavorful meat she has ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment